Dentist Eagan What Can Cause Cavities?

St. Paul Dentist Details the Start of Decay

At Northwood Dental, your St. Paul dentist has seen many patients that continuously get cavities. If you wish to avoid cavities, it is important to know and understand what causes them. Cavities can cause irritation and pain if they aren’t taken care of in a timely matter.

 

What is dental plaque?

 

Dental plaque is a thin layer of biofilm that covers the teeth. It consists of bacteria that thrive off of sugars in the mouth. These bacteria produce an acidic byproduct that continuously attacks our teeth. If these bacteria are not removed, you may experience severe dental health problems

 

How can I remove dental plaque?

 

Dental plaque can be removed by carefully brushing and flossing daily. Your St. Paul area dentists wish to remind you that you should be using a soft-bristled toothbrush, and you should be brushing for two minutes each time.

 

It is extremely important to brush and floss daily otherwise, you will have a plaque buildup, and the plaque may turn into tartar which is even more difficult to remove. Brushing only removes 65% of the bacteria, and flossing removes the other 35%, so be sure to do both daily.

 

If you forget to brush and floss and your plaque becomes tartar, you may need to visit Northwood Dental for a dental cleaning. Often tartar is not able to be removed by simply brushing and flossing.

 

What happens if it is not removed?

 

If you do not remove the dental plaque you may experience dental cavities. If you think you have a cavity be sure to contact us right away. If left untreated, it can affect the surrounding teeth and eventually lead to tooth loss.

 

For more information on how you can keep your mouth healthy call Northwood Dental, the best St. Paul area dentists, by dialing (651) 687-0789 or by clicking here today!